- Temporary Appointment: Education Specialist (Education in Emergencies), P-3
- UNICEF Bangladesh
- Dhaka, Bangladesh
- 23 April 2018
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up.
For every child, a champion
How can you make a difference?
As the Education Specialist, the incumbent is accountable for planning, implementing, monitoring of Education programme(s) to ensure overall efficiency and effectiveness of the programme management, delivery and accomplishment of programme goals and objectives, with special focus to supporting capacity building for decentralized management of education. Across the Education programme(s), s/he will help identify gender and other inequalities in education, and for developing innovative approaches and programmes to eliminating these inequalities. Lastly, the incumbent will collaborate across the programme(s) to ensure effective support for decentralized management of education and preparedness and response to education in case of emergencies (EiE). The incumbent is also expected to co-lead national education cluster in Bangladesh.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Support UNICEF Education section in managing Education in Emergency area including support to the on-going emergency response to Rohingya refugee crisis in Cox’s Bazar district;
- Support UNICEF zonal offices with mainstreaming education preparedness and response in education programming;
- Contribute to the periodic donor repors and reviews relevant to EiE;
- Support Directorate of Primary Education in coordination and implementation of Education in Emergency component of the Fourth Bangladesh Primary Education Development Programme (PEDP4);
- Co-lead National Education cluster in close collaboration with Save the Children. Represent UNICEF in Humanitarian Coordiantion Task Team and other releveant fora;
- Contribute to the enhancement of results based performance monitoring in Education;
- Support Chief of Education in fund raising efforts with the focus on Education in Emergency area;
- Other duties, if required, as requested by senior post management which includes travelling and working non-standard hours, when work demands dictate.
- Assignment completion report
Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
- Within the delegated authority and under the given organizational set-up, the incumbent may be assigned the primarily, shared, or contributory accountabilities for all or part of the following areas of major duties and key end-results.
Programme Planning, Development and Management
- Enhance effective programme, sectoral or inter-sectoral planning, development and management by guiding, coordinating and supporting the timely completion of the Situational Analysis and its periodic update through accurate and complete monitoring and analysis, and the timely preparation or finalization of sectoral input, using gender disaggregated data and analysis.
- Further promote knowledge management by bringing field level experience in drafting or finalizing sectoral documents and reports such as the Country Programme Recommendation and Plans of Action as well as through orientation and training programmes targeted to Government authorities and NGO partners at national and local levels. Ensure exchange of knowledge, information, experience or lessons learned; provides solid technical recommendations on major programme directions and on introduction of new initiatives in the country, particularly for effective decentralization of education management.
Rights-Based Projects through Results-Based Approach.
- Promote the quality of rights-based Education programming through participation in the formulation of programme goals, and approaches at national and local levels. Bring synergy and added value to sectoral or programme management processes using a results-based management approach to local level planning and design, implementation, monitoring.
- Sectoral Work Plan Development, Implementation, and Monitoring.
- Takes shared responsibility for the development of the sectoral work plan and technical decisions as well as for project management, implementation and monitoring of assigned project/sectoral activity, in compliance with the defined project strategies and approaches, emphasizing the principles of decentralization, gender equality.
Programme Delivery and Reporting.
- Ensure programme, sectoral or inter-sectoral efficiency and delivery. Support monitoring with an emphasis on gender-disaggregated data. Participation in evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sector review meetings with government counterparts. Ensure the preparation of annual Education sector status reports.
Promotion of UNICEF's Global Goals
- Promote the organization goals of UNICEF through advocacy and active engagement in communication, networking and participation at every opportunity inside and outside UNICEF, leveraging the strength of UNICEF mission, goals and programmes.
UNICEF and Government Accountability.
- Coordinates with Operations and Supply staff on supply and non-supply assistance activities ensuring proper and timely UNICEF and Government accountability. Certifies disbursements of funds, monitors and submits financial status reports to management in compliance with the regulations and guidelines.
Communication, Collaboration, Networking and Partnership.
- Ensure exchange of information, experience, help identify new strategies and courses of action to accelerate/improve capacity enhancement for decentralization of education management to achieve Education programme requirements and objectives. Conduct field visits to provide technical support to the Education officers based in the field offices and to collect field experience. Conduct periodic programme reviews with Government counterparts and other partners at local and national level.
- Act as focal person for Education in Emergency and support the Chief of Section in leading the National Education in Emergency Cluster.
- Support coordination with Regional Advisers and HQ Officers. Collaborate with other Programme colleagues to ensure the integration of the project/sectoral programme with other sectors.
- Collaborate with the Operations and Supply Sections and Government authorities to establish and maintain sound internal controls supportive of the Education projects planning and implementation, to coordinate financial and supply management requirements as well as to ensure accountability.
- Interact with Government and other partners, NGOs, UN and bilateral agencies in the different stages of Education programme/project implementation to follow up on agreements and recommendations.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Education: Advanced university degree (Master's or higher) in one or more of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Education Management; Public Administration or a Social Sciences fields relevant to international development.
- Work Experience: Five years of progressively professional work experience at national and international levels in field programmes relevant to Education programmes is required. Experience of working in the UN or other international development organization in the field of capacity building for decentralization of government services is highly desirable. Experience with Education in Emergency is an asset.
- Language Proficiency: Fluency (written & verbal) in English is required and fluency (written and verbal) in a second UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) is an asset. Knowledge of Bangla is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Communicates effectively to varied audiences, including during formal public speaking.
- Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
- Has good leadership and supervisory skills; co-ordinates group activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear.
- Translates strategic direction into plans and objectives.
- Analyzes and integrates diverse and complex quantitative and qualitative data from a wide range of sources.
- Quickly builds rapport with individuals and groups; maintains an effective network of individuals across organizational departments.
- Identifies urgent and potentially difficult decisions and acts on them promptly; initiates and generates team- and department-wide activities.
- Demonstrates, applies and shares expert technical knowledge across the organization.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
* Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
* Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Submit applications here: https://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=512211