- Director, UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning
- UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning
- Hamburg, Germany
- 29 October 2017
- (2 year contract - maximum duration 6 years)
- Domain : Education - Lifelong Learning
- Post Number : 1DEED0001UI
- Grade : D-2
- Organizational Unit EDUCATION SECTOR
- Primary Location DE-Hamburg
- Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
- Type of contract : Fixed Term
- Salary : 148 081 USD
- Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : October 29, 2017
The UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning (UIL) is an integral part of UNESCO's Education Sector, operating with statutory institutional autonomy under the guidance of its Governing Board. UIL promotes an integrated approach to policy development, research and training, capacity building, networking and partnership building in the field of lifelong learning, literacy and non-formal education of adult and continuing education. The mission of UIL is to ensure that all forms of education and learning – formal, non-formal and informal - are recognized, valued and available for meeting the demands of individuals and communities throughout the world. UIL responds to these demands and helps meet the challenges facing humanity with policy-driven research, publications and technical services for Member States and non-governmental and civil society organizations as well as private providers at their request.
Under the authority of UNESCO’s Director-General, and the direct supervision of the Assistant Director-General for Education, the incumbent provides intellectual leadership and strategic vision to UIL’s programme and staff. He/she proposes to the UIL’s Governing Board for its approval, the Institute’s Medium-Term Strategies, operational plans and associated budgets. The incumbent will also ensure that UIL fully contributes to the achievement of UNESCO’s Education programme objectives in the context of implementation of the Goal 4 (Education) of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda. The incumbent is responsible for administering the Institute and for planning, executing and reporting on its programme and budget. The incumbent’s responsibilities also include human resource planning, recruitment, and performance management in order to develop motivated and effective teams with appropriate competencies to achieve UIL’s objectives, resource mobilization, and acting as the external advocate for UIL, liaising with financial partners, and with UIL’s other stakeholders.
- Advanced university degree, preferably at Doctorate level, in education, science, social sciences or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with at least two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 15 years of relevant experience in the field of education at national and international level backed by several years of experience in senior management positions.
- Experience in resources mobilization and partnership development.
- Commitment to the Organization’s and Institute’s mandate, vision and strategic direction, as well as its priorities.
- Proven leadership and managerial skills, a broad general culture and sound analytical capacities, high sense of objectivity, professional integrity and political astuteness.
- Ability to direct, change processes at the management level, and familiarity with the administration of an institution accountable to governing bodies.
- Demonstrated ability to mobilize resources in an entrepreneurial spirit, and in support of institutional development.
- Relevant research ability to identify emerging educational needs to which an international research and training programme could make a substantial contribution, as well as exploring new avenues and patterns of action.
- Ability for strategic planning and management and demonstrated ability to translate strategy into priorities and action, and effectively plan, mobilize and manage resources to deliver results.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to provide intellectual leadership and motivate teams in a multicultural environment, as well as ensure training and development of staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively, orally and in writing, with strong representational abilities.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Degree in a field related to adult education, literacy and non-formal education.
- Other degrees or short- to medium-term training in disciplines relevant to the post.
- Experience in research and development in areas such as literary and adult learning, formal and non-formal education or evaluation and monitoring of education systems.
- Experience in donor relations.Strong global professional network.
- Sound judgement and decision-making skills.
- Ability to identify key strategic issues, objectives, opportunities and risks.
- Ability to interact with a wide range of high-level partners, as well as demonstrated partnership development and fund-raising experience.
- Experience within the United Nations system.
- A working knowledge of French or another official United Nations language (Arabic, Chinese, Russian and Spanish).
All applications are to be submitted online via the following link: https://unesco.taleo.net/careersection/2/joblist.ftl, before the deadline of 29 October.
UNESCO is committed to promoting geographical distribution and gender equality within its Secretariat. Therefore, women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply, as well as nationals from non- and under-represented Member States. Persons with disabilities are also encouraged to apply. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts. UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.