The incumbent of the position is part of the Education Section based in Copenhagen, Denmark. The incumbent of the position will work closely with the Education Associate (Tertiary) and will : (i) foster strong links with the Geneva-based teams and other teams and country level colleagues through regular communication and collaboration through consistent phone and written communication and participation at meetings through conference calls, skype, video links, etc.; (ii) ensure contacts with and guidance to country operations and partners is coordinated with Regional Bureaux, other DRS teams and relevant Divisions. The Education Section is situated in the Division of Resilience and Solutions (DRS), and is based in Copenhagen, Denmark.
The New York Declaration of September 2016 and the development of the Global Compact for Refugees (GCR) have established a framework for the international community for a holistic approach to supporting and sustainably strengthening refugee hosting communities and service provision. UNHCR's refugee education strategy emphasizes the importance of lifelong learning with safe access, quality and sustainability of accredited education service provision.
The Associate Education Officer (Monitoring) is primarily responsible for supporting the programme management of UNHCR's tertiary education response, including the DAFI programme, in the areas of monitoring, reporting and providing targeted support to country operations to ensure quality standards are met and capacities strengthened at country level. The Associate Education Officer will work under the supervision of the Education Officer (Advocacy & Partnership) in close collaboration with the Education Officer (Data Management). The incumbent will ensure that progress and results of the DAFI programme are monitored, communicated and reported in a timely, efficient and results-based manner. This will support knowledge sharing and learning across operations as well as to build and strengthen partnerships with external stakeholders.
The incumbent will work with the other teams in DRS and other relevant Divisions to support country teams to develop mechanisms to measure enrolment in tertiary education programming supported by UNHCR, including the DAFI programme, as well as certified post-secondary vocational training programmes and other tertiary education initiatives implemented at the country level. S/he will be responsible for the collection and analysis of quantitative and qualitative data pertaining to tertiary education, S/he will identify measures to improve statistical estimates on eligible refugees for higher education at regional and country levels, including estimating gaps between needs and available opportunities. The incumbent will work with the Regional Bureaux, country operations and other Units/Divisions, as appropriate.
The incumbent will provide tailored support to country operations and undertake regular missions to programme countries. S/he will strengthen overall reporting of the DAFI and other tertiary education programmes, improve the collection of tertiary education statistics among students and graduates. S/he will support country offices to monitor and address the specific obstacles girls, and young persons with disabilities/special needs face in accessing tertiary education, with a view to increasing the numbers of females receiving tertiary education support through UNHCR's programmes.
The incumbent will ensure the alignment of the DAFI and related reporting functions with other levels of UNHCR's education programming. This will include the development and refinement of joint data collection where applicable.
- Monitoring, data management, reporting and knowledge exchange on UNHCR's DAFI programme and other tertiary education and connected learning initiatives, is improved and is timely.
- Data collection mechanisms for all components of the DAFI programme are reviewed and strengthened.
- Progress and results of all tertiary education programmes tracked and reported.
- Country Operations and Bureaux are provided with technical advice and support on monitoring and accountability.
- Lessons learned and good practices are collected, documented, and disseminated.
- Statistical and related progress reports are prepared and shared with the Government of Germany and other donors to the DAFI programme under the overall guidance of the Snr Advisor (Education).
- Evidence building in higher education initiatives is supported.
- Track and analyse progress within an agreed results framework and monitoring system of all components related to UNHCR's DAFI tertiary education programme by supporting and refining existing mechanisms, data management (collection, entering, quality control, maintaining, and analysis) and related qualitative information.
- Upgrade, update and maintain a database according to results framework.
- Summarize findings and results from regular data analysis in a timely and user-friendly manner through agreed upon formats such as briefing notes, background materials or guidance notes.
- Identify potential risks, challenges and capacity building needs emerging from monitoring information and inform the Education Officer (Tertiary), as well as the Snr Advisor (Education)
- Ensure that the progress and results of UNHCR's tertiary education programming are communicated and reported on in a timely, efficient and results-based manner.
- Develop and reinforce monitoring and tools on the transition from secondary to tertiary education.
- Align tertiary education monitoring to other components of refugee education.
- Define and communicate required reporting details (timing, format, content, etc.).
- Provide tailored monitoring, reporting and data-based programming support to education officers/ focal points in Country Operations and Bureaux remotely and during missions and workshops.
- Provide advice and guidance on monitoring and reporting tools, templates and approaches for the DAFI programme and for tertiary education country level programmes in general.
- Support education focal points in effectively applying the country reporting framework for tertiary education.
- Manage the tertiary education monitoring, accountability and learning requirements at headquarters level under supervision of the Education Officer (Adv & Ptnshp).
- Strengthen and refine monitoring and students tracking mechanisms and related data collection mechanisms for the DAFI programme and other tertiary education programmes and align them with other areas of UNHCR's education programming.
- Create a repository of good practices, compile and issue lessons learned documents.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Social Sciences, Education, Refugee Law, International Humanitarian Labour or other related fields plus minimum 3 years of professional experience in humanitarian programming or protection work or field project management or related fields out of which 1 year in an international setting and in a field location. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master's) plus 2 years or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) plus 1 year of previous relevant work experience may also be accepted.
- Knowledge and experience with developing and/or working with monitoring systems, including data management and maintaining a complex database, data analysis and results-based programming.
- Knowledge of programming in humanitarian and/or development settings.
- Work experience in education programmes.
- Experience of project management.
- Experience in working in a multi-country/ global programme.
- Knowledge of the UN and UNHCR¿s mandate generally.
- Demonstrated strong analytical / research skills, critical thinking.
- Demonstrated organizational skills: the ability to work independently and productively in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and spoken English skills.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Protection programming experience an asset.
- Specific experience in tertiary education programming in humanitarian or development contexts an asset.
- Experience in communicating results and reporting, as well as developing training materials is an asset.
- Experience to provide technical guidance and advice to other colleagues.
- Advanced technological skills regarding online tools and other tools to collect, manage and analyse data an asset.
- Proficiency in a second UN language, particularly in French.
Application deadline: Thursday 18 October 2018 (midnight Geneva time).
See the full vacancy details under:
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.